A soup lover and vegetarian, I am always on the hunt for great protein filled and hearty soup. I had a bowl for dinner and was stuffed. And the best part my friends? It took about an hour. Yep, soup in an hour.
This recipe is originally from Canadian Living and I imagine taste delicious their way. I just modified it a bit and had to share this way.
What you need:
- olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 piece of celery diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can of lentils rinsed and drained.
- 1 can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 onion diced
Put it together:
- Heat a large pot on medium heat.
- Add the oil and cumin seeds and saute for a minute.
- Add the celery, onions, garlic and squash. Cook for a few minutes until celery and onions are soft.
- Add the chickpeas and lentils.
- Add the stock.
- Add the chili powder, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Put the burner on low-medium and cook covered for 45 minutes
This was the perfect soup for the cold rainy day it was today. Very yummy, hearty, healthy, easy and great that it is vegetarian/vegan friendly. The toddler liked it too!
Latest posts by Jennifer Neilson (see all)
- DIY Advent Calender - November 29, 2013
- Happy 4th birthday to Mommy Connections from Jennifer Haas, Discovery Toys! - November 18, 2013
- Happy Birthday To Mommy Connections from The Baby Store - November 16, 2013