Positive Discipline – Little Hands and Me Parenting Network
Positive Discipline Parenting:
6:30 Positive Discipline Starting May3
With Positive Discipline, the emphasis is on a balance of firmness and kindness, and on providing respect for both adults and children. Positive Discipline, because it is neither permissive nor punitive, rings hope, increased skills, and love to your family.
Five Criteria for Positive Discipline:
- Is Kind and Firmat the same time. (Respectful and encouraging)
- Helps children feel a sense of Belonging and Significance. (Connection)
- Is Effective Long-Term. (Punishment works short term, but has negative long-term results.)
- Teaches valuable Social and Life Skillsfor good character. (Respect, concern for others, problem-solving, accountability, contribution, cooperation)
- Invites children to discover how Capablethey are and to use their personal power in constructive ways.
The Firefly class will be 6 weeks in length and 1 hour and 15 minutes. Each week we will discuss tools and concepts related to Positive Discipline, participate in experiential activities and parents helping parents problem solve. Below is an outline of what parents can expect each week. Please note that these weekly topics may change to reflect the needs of a families in our classes.