Our first week of our summer vacation started this year with a Pedalheads bike camp. It was the third year my 6 year old daughter was involved and the first year trying Pedalheads with my 3 year old son. The camp has always been a positive experience for my daughter who has become a more confident, aware and safe biker because of Pedalheads, so it was only natural I decided to put my son in this year as well.
Only two days into the bike camp, my three year old looked at me with glee and pronounced that this was his best day ever! It was such a sweet moment and one that made me laugh as he had just been told he was going to ‘clean’ his bike. Pedalheads has specialized activities everyday during camp and it was ‘Wash Wednesday’. He loved cleaning his bike, something I couldn’t *help* but think and hope that he continues (at least this love of cleaning)!
We initially started Pedalheads because I had heard great things about their programming and I was keen to get my daughter biking. I could tell her hundreds of times what to do, but she seemed to respond better when someone else was talking to her (go figure)! Ever since then, we’ve had great experiences. They were instrumental in helping her get off her training wheels, and now they’ve helped her become more confident using gears and riding for longer trips (even on the road)!
For my three year old son, he’s a bit of the stubborn type, so I wasn’t sure how camp would go this week. He’s had a bike with training wheels for a year but never seemed to grasp the concept of biking very well, until this week. He was in a ‘trikes and trainers’ camp with only one other little boy and it was fantastic. Their instructor was patient, set up game after game, had them moving and biking and playing and just having a great time! He looked forward to camp everyday and I had no problems convincing him to go.
If you have the opportunity or are thinking of trying a camp out this summer, I would recommend giving Pedalheads a chance. All the kids in the programs seemed to love biking and together in a group they really thrive. Plus sometimes it takes someone else to give your child those tips on riding a bike, to really get them confident on their bike!
Further information from Pedalheads:
Pedalheads provides innovative and effective programs that are safe, fun, and challenging, inviting children to discover a world of opportunities. People choose Pedalheads because:
• since 1995, we’ve taught hundreds of thousands of kids to ride their bikes;
• we have a proven track record of getting most kids off their training wheels within one week;
• we aim to develop healthy, confident, and independent kids by way of our own teaching methods, small classes, and incredible instructors;
• we have promoted kids’ health and development over the last 30+ years, earning us a reputation of excellence in the communities that we serve; and
• parents have rated us 4.8 out of 5 stars, based on nearly 700 Facebook reviews. Check out what parents had to say here.
About our learn-to-ride bike program.
Our learn-to-ride bike program is best known for helping kids ages three through 12 get off training wheels and safely ride on the road. Our program includes:
• a progression of six instructional levels for you to choose from,
• three-hour half-day camps,
• seven-hour all-day camps,
• private lessons, and
• before and after care options.