Preschool can be of immense value to children. Research has shown immense benefits to children enrolled in preschool programs including, but not limited to:
- Enhanced social skills, teamwork, concentration, patience, resilience, cooperation and respect;
- Improved self-esteem and confidence;
- Improved emotional and cognitive development;
- Enthusiasm for lifelong learning leading to improved academic achievement;
- Encouraging holistic development and improved self-regulation;
- Understanding the value of education through experience; and
- Exposure to diversity
Springhill Community Preschool is one of Edmonton’s longest running parent-run preschool cooperatives. We ascribe to the philosophy of “learning through play” to help our children develop. Our program offers the following features:
- Classes for 2, 3 and 4-year-olds;
- Intellidance classes included twice weekly;
- Jolly Phonics trained staff;
- Organic snack program included;
- Special science-focuses classes;
- Field trips throughout the year; and
- No duty days.
At Springhill, children are provided with a wide range of opportunities to play with many different materials in the company of other children in a safe and secure environment. All of these activities allow Springhill children to grow intellectually, socially, and emotionally – all at a pace and in ways that are suitable for each child. Our activity centres in the classroom include arts and crafts, books and puzzles, music and dress-up costumes, a playhouse, toys and theme activities, and a water and sand table. In our separate gross motor room, Springhill offers obstacle courses, tents and tunnels, a teeter-totter, a mini-trampoline, bikes and balls.
Classes for each age group follow a basic routine, with occasional variations. During class time, each group will have some free play in the classroom’s activity centres, circle time (where the children are introduced to letters, numbers and literature), an organic snack, a fine motor and a gross motor activity, and – weather permitting – some play outdoors.
Please join us at our open house on Thursday, February 15th, 2018 from 5:00-7:30 pm or contact us through our website at www.springhillpreschool.com. We even have a few spaces left to start in January 2018!
References: Centers for Disease Control. (2017). Early Childhood Education. https://www.cdc.gov/policy/hst/hi5/earlychildhoodeducation/index.html
Palmer, V. (2016). The 13 key benefits of early education: A teacher’s perspective. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/vicki-palmer/the-13-key-benefits-of-ea_b_7943348.html