My family loves eggnog and every year they make it. We drink it on Christmas, New Years, and even any day in the month of December. Since eggnog is such a popular drink I decided to share my family recipe!
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon, for topping
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cream, milk, nutmeg and salt. Stir often until mixture reaches a bare simmer.
- Add a big spoonful of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking vigorously. Repeat, adding a big spoonful at a time, to temper the eggs.
- Once all of the hot milk has been added to the eggs, pour the mixture back into the saucepan on the stove.
- Whisk constantly, until the mixture is slightly thickened, just a few minutes (or until it reaches about 160 degrees F on a thermometer).
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
Pour the eggnog into a pitcher or other container and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until chilled. It will thicken as it cools. If you want a thinner, completely smooth consistency, I like to add the entire mixture to a blender with 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk and blend until smooth.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon, and fresh whipped cream, if desired.