Most friends and family mean well. They are so excited about the birth of a baby that they buy the cutest outfits they can find and gift them to new moms. While these gifts are lovely gestures, what moms need most isn’t really stuff for baby, but services for themselves that will help make life just a little bit easier. So much attention is paid to the baby, we often forget to check in and see how mom is doing. Her life has changed suddenly and adjusting isn’t always easy, nor is asking for help. Here’s our list of Christmas and shower gifts perfect for the new or veteran Edmonton and area mom in your life:
- A hot meal – either prepare, pick up, or order a hot, healthy meal to be delivered to the mom in your life **make sure you’re aware of any dietary restrictions
- A Simpy Supper Edmonton or Dinner Factory St. Albert gift card for her to make her own meals ahead of time or better yet, gather a few friends and family and do it for her ** make sure you’re aware of any dietary restrictions
- A gift card to her favourite baby store to get the stuff she really needs – we LOVE Two Mothers in Edmonton
- A gift card to her favourite grocery store or produce delivery like SPUD or the Organic Box
- A Skip the Dishes or Uber Eats gift card for her to use on one of those long, impossible days
- A meal service gift card- such as Chef’s Plate or Hello Fresh or our local favourite – The Conscious Coach
- A postpartum doula – these incredible women swoop in during the postpartum period and help mama with whatever she needs – cooking, cleaning, self-care, caring for baby while mama showers, naps, etc. Here are a few of our favourites: Tia Biggs, Edmonton Area Family Doulas, and Full Circle Birth Collective
- A home organizer – we recommend Simply SOS
- A house cleaner – such as Pernickety Services
- A postnatal class, such as Infant Massage (Kneading Palms Massage in St. Albert, Ripple Effect Wellness in St. Albert or Whole Family Health in Edmonton), Mom & Baby Yoga (Yogalife Studios or Lahari Yoga), or a Mommy Connections Program with us!
- A day at the spa with childcare – check out the Sturgeon Valley Athletic Club in St. Albert that offers childcare while you work out or visit the True Balance – the spa on-site
- A night out with her partner (if she’s ready to leave baby) – comedy club, movies, that includes babysitting from you or a great local service
- Babysitting – offer to watch her baby or children when she needs so she can get stuff done, have a night out, or spend a little time on self-care – if you’re unable, pay for a great local service like Birdie Break
What would you add to this list?