Nicole Betker is a mother, wife, rabid Toronto Blue Jays fan and a pop culture junkie. Always having an opinion or something to say, it’s time this journalism grad found a place to share her musings on the acts of “adulting”.
They are a special breed. They have a mind of their own and a unique way of expressing themselves. At any moment their mood can change and rapidly tears are flowing over, sometimes, the most ridiculous situations.
Here are the top 20 things that have sent my little man into a tailspin. Hopefully, you can relate.
- Giving him milk in the wrong coloured glass. I didn’t realize milk tasted better out of a red cup.
- Dumping his bath toys into the tub, prior to squirting bubbles in. How dare I?
- Making a waffle instead of an egg for breakfast. At least it has protein.
- When the syrup isn’t proportionately distributed on the waffle in question. Slow circular motions is the way to drip the syrup, in case you were wondering.
- Allowing the dog to sit on the couch with us for a movie – at the other end of the couch.
- Not allowing him to hold the leash when walking the dog. And when you finally do, the dog pulls and gets away. It all ends the walk quickly.
- Driving to the grocery store in a different route than he has directed. I’m glad I have a personal GPS system in my backseat.
- Not allowing him to pick the cart at the grocery store, including the tiny one for kids. Last time, we had a roll over in aisle five.
- When he remembers you accidentally popped his balloon from three weeks ago.
- When you don’t put the right amount of toothpaste on the toothbrush or have to use a new tube of toothpaste with a different cartoon character on it.
- When it is daylight savings time and his regularly scheduled cartoons aren’t on at the same time. Heaven forbid, we can’t watch Paw Patrol.
- When you have to return books back to the library because they are borrowed and not his.
- When you explain the iPAD won’t work because it needs to charge.
- Singing the wrong words to the Paw Patrol, PJ Masks or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme songs.
- Asking him to put on his pajamas or the wrong coloured pajamas.
- Giving him other foods besides eggs, waffles, cheese, noodles, or chicken fingers.
- Not rushing to his side when he immediately screams ‘Mommy’ for the 106th time in 10 minutes.
- Not letting him pick his shirt or underwear in the morning before daycare.
- Asking him to wear a sweater because its cold.
And, of course:
- Not kissing him exactly on the spot of whatever injury he feels he suffered.